In the final chapter of the book of Ruth (Ruth 4:1-22), the final outcome of Ruth’s appeal to Boaz for proptection (and therefore marriage) is told. By the city gate where business transactions were carried out, Boaz deals with the man next-in-line to take over Elimelech’s property (which includes a marriageable young Moabitess). True to his word, Boaz carries through with the deal and marriage is followed by the birth of their son, Obed, and the family line is established that leads to David and, of course, to Jesus.
Song: Tell Out My Soul
04:03 Bible reading: Ruth 4
Song: Worthy of All Praise
08:46 Shorter Catechism Introduction
10:14 Catechism Questions 152-160
14:48 Bible reading: Matthew 1:1-6
Song: Jesus Thank You
Sermon: Ruth 4
Song: O Come O Come Emmanuel
• The story ends, but it’s more than a Hollywood movie!
• How will Elimelech have an heir?
• The problem presented and overcome
• See how the text speaks of these developments…
- The actions of a kind redeemer (v.1-10)
- The blessings of a broad covenant (v.11-12)
- The arrival of a welcome son (v.13-21)
God at work in the whole story!
The point of it all – to lead us to Jesus!