In this message on 1 Samuel 8:1-22, Ryan Smith explores the concept of finding security in the Lord alone from the time the people of Israel went to Samuel to ask them for a king to rule over them. They did this to ‘be like the other nations around them’ and in doing so they earned God’s displeasure, even though He gave them what they asked for! (Sometimes we ask for the wrong things!) It’s a challenge for us in this day of much fear about many things – who do you trust in for your security?
Song: Stand Up and Bless the Lord
04:27 Bible reading: 1 Samuel 8
Song: Be Unto Your Name
07:18 Shorter Catechism Introduction
08:45 Catechism Questions 91-95
10:54 Bible reading: Matthew 6 and Mark 10
Song: How Deep the Father’s Love
Sermon: 1 Samuel 8:1-22
Song: Be Thou My Vision
- In their insecurity the Israelites ask for a King (v1-5)
- Seeking security apart from God is to reject Him (v.6-9)
- A King will take from them & enslave them (v.10-18)
- God gives them what they ask for (v.19-22)
- God graciously gives them far better than they deserve – Jesus the true and better King!