When the disciples of Jesus once asked Him some questions as they stood near the Temple, they could never have known that the answers Jesus gave them were answers that would echo down the corridors of time for thousands of years. But this is the case with the ‘Olivet Discourse’ recorded for us in Matthew’s gospel chapters 24 and 25. And so, in Matthew 24:1-14, the scene is set. The disciples are there. Jesus is there. And the questions focus upon the end of the age and the signs of His coming. But the answers are a little more complex, reminding us that the Lord Jesus is also our great Prophet who declares to us the truth that we might not fear but be busy with His gospel.
Song: And Can It Be
05:34 Bible reading: Matthew 24:1-14
Song: See Him Coming
07:41 Kids’ Talk
Song: Hooley Dooley Wap Bam Boom!
11:23 Bible reading: 2 Timothy 3:1-17
Song: By Faith We See the Hand of God
Sermon: Matthew 24:1-14
Song: We’ve a Story to Tell
- A new series!
- Matthew’s fifth ‘discourse’ from the mouth of Jesus
- Eschatology – study of the end (times)
- Note these things in relation to the end…
- How mistaken the disciples were in their thinking (v.1-3)
- How certain Jesus was about a delay in His coming (v.4-12)
- How urgent Jesus was about a challenge for the believing (v.13-14)
History proved Him right (of course!)
Some ‘don’ts’ and ‘do’s’ for His people…!