After telling of Naomi and Ruth’s tragic loss and their eventual trip back to the land of Judah in Israel, the text of chapter two (Ruth 2:1-23) brings us face to face with three central characters. The two widows, Naomi and Ruth, and one man, new to the plot line of the story, Boaz, a wealthy landowner. While Naomi and Ruth’s plight has been noted, now there is a silver thread, a small shining light of hope introduced, and Boaz begins to notice and care for Ruth. Could this be God’s plan for the continuation of the line of Elimelech?
Song: What a Friend We Have in Jesus
02:28 Bible reading: Ruth 2
Song: Be Unto Your Name
06:08 Shorter Catechism Introduction
07:35 Catechism Questions 140-145
14:05 Bible reading: Romans 8
Song: How Deep the Father’s Love
Sermon: Ruth 2
Song: Teach Me Thy Way
• When and where we last met Ruth and Naomi
• How would they survive?
• The fields of Boaz…
• See how the text speaks of the characters in the story…
- Ruth the dutiful worker (v.1-3, 10, 17-18, 23)
- Boaz the generous protector (v.4-9, 11-16)
- Naomi the hopeful schemer (v.19-23)
Insignificant things…and the plans of our God!